Licensure Requirements for a Broker
- Minimum age of 18
- Must be one of the following
- U.S. citizen
- Non-resident national
- Alien authorized to work in the U.S.
- Must be able to provide a valid social security number
- Complete the 75-hour broker pre-license course
- Pass the broker exam
- Criminal background check
- Apply for license
Step by Step Guide (Broker)
- Complete the 75-hour broker pre-license course through an Approved School
- You can also view a list of schools that offer online learning
- For instructions on ordering the criminal background check, refer to page 10 of the North Carolina Candidate Handbook
- Once you receive a Notice of Examination Eligibility, you can schedule your exam with PSI
- Pass the broker exam (See below for more information)
- Commission will issue your license upon review of character
If you are already licensed in another jurisdiction:
The exam costs $56 and is administered on a computer in multiple choice format. The national portion consists of 80 scored questions and 5-10 pre-test questions that do not affect your score. The state law portion consists of 40 scored questions and 5 pre-test questions that do not affect your score.
There is no distinction made between scored questions and pre-test questions on the exam. They are all mixed in together, so it is important that you answer each question carefully. You must answer at least 57 questions correctly (71%) on the national portion and answer at least 29 questions correctly (73%) on the state law portion in order to pass.
You will have 2 hours to complete the national portion and 1 ½ hours to complete the state law portion. Your exam eligibility lasts for 180 days. You must pass both portions of the exam within this time frame.
- Schedule online at http://www.psiexams.com/ or by calling 855-579-4638
- Exam Fee- $56
- Application Fee- $100
- Note: If you have to re-take the exam, you will have to pay both the exam fee and application fee again
- Criminal Background Check- Fees vary